RCM Accredited training and treatment for Birth Trauma – Course Outline
Be the change you want to see in the World – Mahatma Gandhi
New FREE module – Vicarious trauma in the workplace
I am excited to announce the launch of a new BTR programme module offering guidance for treating vicarious trauma within the midwifery services.
While the focus of BTR has been predominantly on treating mothers and occasionally partners, I have become acutely aware of the huge importance of treating vicarious trauma suffered by staff within the midwifery service. The importance of helping staff recover from symptoms of trauma and PTSD cannot be underestimated, its effects being so far reaching. BTR therapy can help support staff health and wellbeing, staff retention, feelings of compassion, care, and connection towards women. Ultimately helping prevent mothers being traumatised during labour.
In addition to treating vicarious trauma, the module also offers practical strategies, tools, and techniques for helping foster staff health and well-being and prevent trauma – developing resilience.
Midwives who have received treatment from a BTR practitioner report feeling calmer and clearer headed, leading to better decision making. They state that they have greater feelings of compassion, better relationships with other staff members, and that they have the spare capacity needed to be ‘with woman’.
This is a fantastic new module and I am excited to add it to the BTR syllabus.
Great News! – Birth Trauma Resolution Therapy will continue to be offered as an online training programme.
I am pleased to announce that the BTR training programme is continuing to be offered online. I have spent many hours researching and deliberating the best way to offer this course to students and am confident that your learning experience can be further enhanced by studying in this way.
The online training course will be taught with the following format:
- Online teaching modules that allow you to learn the theory and practical at your own pace.
- Video/Audio recordings of treatment sessions.
- Zoom classroom allowing you to ask questions about the training material.
- Google classroom to get help with your case studies
ADVANTAGES OF LEARNING ONLINE
The advantages of learning in this way are that you are going to be able to learn at your own pace. This means that you can, for example, set aside one hour for your learning and focus on that area of the curriculum. If you have not understood a teaching point, or merely wish to listen to that point again, you can just stop the recording and press replay. We’ve all been in a classroom situation where we are busy taking notes and thinking about the point being made and then go on to miss the next teaching point. It takes an average of seven times to hear new information and to understand it. With online training you can listen to the training material as many times as you wish and really consolidate your learning.
If you want further clarity you can attend the regular live Zoom teaching deepener sessions. You will be invited to submit questions before the session that will be answered by myself to deepen your understanding and learning experience. If you can’t attend, you can listen to the recording at a time convenient to you.
There will be a reduction in associated costs for students/Trusts as you will not have to pay venue costs or pay travel expenses. You will also not have to book time off work to attend live training.
If you’re interested in attending, please fill out the contact form and I will add you to the waiting list to attend future courses.
If you wish to apply now, please download, fill out, and email us your application form at firstname.lastname@example.org
Q) How long will the course run for?
A) The course consists of 18 weeks of weekly modules and live sessions, followed by 6 months of monthly supervision sessions.
Q) Will the course content be the same as the live training?
A) Yes, however we will also be adding new and updated content as we continue to develop, refine, and expand the course.
Q) How will I do my practical assessment?
A) You will submit a recording of you working with a patient along with a written case study.
Q) What happens if I need to ask you a question about the course content?
A) You can attend any of the live Zoom sessions or if you can’t make it you can submit a question 48 hrs prior to the session; this will be answered during the live Q&A. All of the live sessions will be recorded and made available to you within 24hrs.
Q) Do students need to start and finish the course at the same time?
A) Yes, the course start date and finish date will be the same for all the students. However, you can work through the modules at your own pace.
Q) What if something happens and I don’t finish the course?
A) You will have the opportunity to switch over to the next training course for a transfer fee of £100. This can only happen once.
Birth Trauma Resolution Online Practitioner Training Programme.
- Understanding trauma – Taking a look at the neuroscience of birth trauma and PTSD.
- Find out what factors influence the development of birth trauma and PTSD.
- Find out why men, women and staff are at risk if being traumatised during birth.
- Be able to quickly identify those suffering from birth trauma – the birth trauma/PTSD questionnaire.
- Be able to differentiate between birth trauma/PTSD and PND.
- Be able to offer effective debriefing and mirror the natural trauma processing system in the brain.
- Be able to support a return to health a well-being following a traumatic birth using the Emotional Needs Audit
Learn the following tools and techniques:
- Breathing – teach your patients how to shut down a panic attack.
- The power of guided imagery and visualisation.
- How to create patient downloads to support treatment success rates.
- Human Givens rewind technique – fast and effective treatment for birth trauma/PTSD.
- Creative use of the rewind – how to treat challenging patients.
Plan effective treatment sessions
- Learn how to plan a treatment session including the 6 key elements needed ensure effective treatment outcomes.
Life after birth trauma and PTSD
This section of the course offers a variety of specially selected tools, techniques and behavioural strategies for rebuilding confidence, relationships and reducing feelings of loss following a traumatic birth.
Students will consolidate their learning by being asked to design treatment strategies for different types of presenting issues. It is my firm belief that it is not enough to attend training and be given a treatment ‘tools kit’. To offer highly effective treatment, practitioners need the confidence to know when to apply those tools to different case studies. BTR therapy is patient centered and requires practitioners to be able to modify their treatment offering according to the individual needs of the patient.
- To be able to use a variety of tools to rebuild confidence, forge nurturing relationships and reduce feelings of loss following a traumatic birth. Students will be able to do this by dissolving ineffective trauma templates and creating new positive mental patterns helping to support mother, partners and staff back to health and wellbeing.
- For students to be able to give patients a variety of strategies and techniques to continue their treatment outside the therapy room. This helps foster a feeling of self-efficacy in the patient.
- To be able to plan a course of treatment for the patient in accordance with their individual needs and requirements.
- To understand when to refer on to a mental health specialist.
Students are required to submit an audio recording of a patient treatment session.
Students are also required to submit a 3,000-word case study.
There is ongoing online supervision and support throughout the training period (Weeks 1 – 18)
Students will be invited to join a closed group and receive support and supervision with their ongoing case studies. This is one of the most powerful parts of the course and offers students a chance to consolidate their learning.
Achieve a pass as a certified BTR practitioner – you can now charge patients.
6 months BTR Preceptorship
This will be considered a time to offer guidance, support and further learning to newly qualified BTR practitioners to help them transition from student to practitioner and develop their practice further. The practitioner will be offered a once monthly group supervision session over the 6 month period. They must attend 4 out of 6 sessions.
What can I expect from training with Jenny Mullan and becoming a BTR therapy practitioner?
- The reassurance that you are taking a course that is accredited to the highest standard by the RCM.
- Online teaching modules by the founder of BTR therapy Jenny Mullan
- Zoom live Q&A sessions with Jenny to deepen your understanding of the course content.
- Group supervision during the 18 weeks that you are training which is invaluable for enhancement of learning, support and confidence building.
- Continued supervision for 6 months after the course ensuring you are safe and confident to practice.
You will be assessed in the following areas:
- A 3000 word case study
- An audio recording of you treating a patient.
- Undergoing supervised practice during training – reporting on and being supported with case studies
- 6 months BTR Preceptorship. You will be required to attend 4 out of 6 group supervision sessions.
Who can study the BTR therapy training programme?
The course was originally designed for midwives but is open to any birth professional who comes into contact with women suffering from birth trauma / PTSD.
The following professions are included, although the list is by no means exhaustive. If you are interested and don’t fall into the following categories, please apply on merit:
- Health visitors
- Hypnobirthing practitioners (RCM accredited training schools)
- Birth trauma counsellor wanting to extend their skill set.
Having passed the necessary practical and theoretical assessments practitioners can apply for professional indemnity insurance ensuring they are fully protected and covered to treat patients, whether they decide to practice within the NHS or privately. Rates have been negotiated with a couple of insurance companies and details will be given upon qualifying.
Upon qualification you will be a certified Birth Trauma Resolution Practitioner and be entitled to appear on the BTR therapy register of practitioners.
For details on the next training programme please Click Here
Undertaking training to become a certified ‘Birth Trauma Resolution’ practitioner will offer you the chance to do a job that can truly change the lives of those suffering with birth trauma/PTSD in the most dramatic and satisfying way – This training programme is not to be missed.
BIRTH TRAUMA RESOLUTION PRACTITIONER TRAINING
I have created a revolutionary training programme that spans over 18 weeks of live sessions, followed by 6 months of monthly supervision called Birth Trauma Resolution Practitioner Training which I am proud to have accredited by the RCM.